This review is dedicated to Karaoke USA GF8xx series, in other words: GF829, GF830, GF840 and GF842.
This karaoke USA series not only has a streamlined design making it attractive to look at, but it also has many fantastic features. The average user will find it easy to operate, but still versatile and full of useful and fun components. It’s a fairly compact machine, but really contains a lot of features.
If you are looking for a great karaoke machine for kids and adults, you may want to add this product to your list. This portable machine is perfect for children as it is simple to operate and kids will definitely be entertained by it, but it’s also a good machine for adults as well.
This is an in-depth review of this product and the objective is to answer as many questions as you would have to help you select the best karaoke machine for your taste. If you are looking for the best karaoke machine reviews that exists on the web, you have to come to the right place. Enjoy the rest of the review!
As you will also see further below, this review is used as the baseline for the Karaoke USA GF8xx series. There are 5 difference models that have a lot of similar features and some differences.
If you are in a hurry or would like to get a quick overview of what feature each of the model has, just take a look at the following table. Then you can continue with the review to get a better and more comprehensive understanding of what each feature does and based on that you can decide which one you want to go for ….
(25W RMS )
As said before, keep reading the rest of review if you still have some unanswered questions and you are not clear about the features mentioned in the table above.
Karaoke USA GF830, GF839, GF840 and GF842 Review and How Do they compare
Before I start my in-depth review of GF829 as a baseline, let me take care of one important thing real fast and I am sure you will find this piece of information very useful before you make your decision to buy.
I have received many questions about the Karaoke USA GF8xx series and how do they compare to GF829 and among each other. Let me make your life much easier:
One option you have is just to take a look at the comparison table above and there is a high chance you will have the answer to this question right away.
Otherwise, these are the main things you need to know about the GF8xx series:
Bluetooth: the base model does not come with this feature but GF830 and beyond offer Bluetooth connectivity. If you want to hook up wirelessly your smart devices to your karaoke machine, then your choice is clear, you should go for GF830 and higher models.
Speaker Power: if you are into larger parties and gathering and need more output power, your better options willbe GF839, GF840 and GF842. As you can see from the comparison table above, these higher models offer more output power than the first two models.
Disco Light: the latest model Karaoke USA GF842 is the only model that offers this cool features. You can spice up your party with this and make things more fun and enjoyable. So if this is the thing you like, I would say go with this model.
DC Adaptor: GF 839 and beyond come with a DC adaptor in addition to an AC adaptor. This is a feature that gives the higher models more versatility.
Last but not least, later models look a bit slicker and more trendy is this is something you care for.
My recommendation: as you can see from the table comparison above, given the small price differences, I would highly recommend you guys to go with Karaoke USA GF842. For a little more, you get a slicker karaoke machine with more offer that the other models in this series … a no brainer.
OK, now that we have covered the differences, I have dedicated the rest of this post to the baseline model, GF829, to describe in detail all the features ….
Given what I mentioned above, the rest of the review will apply to all models in GF8xx series.
Type of Usage
At a more compact size (8 lbs,) this home karaoke system can be used in a variety of different settings. Generally used for recreation, its small size makes it easy to transport and set up so it is perfect for just about any small party or gathering (the user manual suggests that the original box be used to transport the machine so as to avoid any damage.) The ease of being able to use this portable karaoke machine at home with your family, at a friend’s house, or even at a party at a restaurant or other venue makes this product great choice for avid karaoke fans. At the same time, this system can be used as a great karaoke machine for kids when they are gathering and partying at home with their friends.
2 Microphones: This machine comes with two microphones, which makes it easy to sing duets. Kids will love this feature as it will allow them to sing with their siblings or friends.
2 Microphone Inputs: Also, it features two microphone inputs, so if you prefer to use your own microphones you can easily do so.
2 Microphone Holders: For your convenience, you also have two microphone holders that you can place the microphones in when you are not using them. This helps prevent damage that could occur if microphones are left out or on the floor.
Separate Microphone Volume Control: The microphones included with the machine are decent quality, and the volume is certainly sufficient for use in a home or other small venue. You can adjust the volume of each microphone separately, which is a great feature for singing duets. If your singing partner has a much louder voice than you, you can easily adjust his or her volume so you don’t end up being drowned out.
Monitor / Display
Large 7” Color TFT-LCD Screen: This machine includes a built-in monitor. A monitor is basically a small screen that is used to display words and/or pictures (like a TV or computer screen.) This is where you will view the lyrics when you are singing. The color screen is very clear and can be easily read at a distance.
Attachment to TV: Another great feature of this machine is that it can also be attached to your TV or home theater system. So if you have a group of friends over to do karaoke and everyone is having a difficult time seeing the screen on the machine, you can connect the machine to your big-screen TV or your home theater system.
Connecting the machine to your TV is simple: Connect RCA cables into matching color jacks on your TV – yellow (video,) red (audio,) and white (audio.) One set of the RCA cables is included with this machine as well.
Sources of Song and Media Type Compatibility
Media Type Compatibility: Your GF829 will support CD, CD+G, DVD, MP3+G, MP3, CD-R Discs, and MP3 CDs.
This machine comes with 300 MP3G songs on disc. An MP3G is a type of karaoke file format that plays both music and allows you to view the lyrics. It stands for MP3 plus graphics. The machine will also play any normal karaoke CDG (this is a regular CD that also presents low-resolution graphics when played in the correct type of player,) karaoke DVD, and allows the user to watch a normal DVD movie.
For your convenience, this machine comes with built-in speakers, so there is no need to connect the machine to a stereo system. The speakers have decent sound-quality and are more than suitable for use in a residential home setting.
Karaoke USA GF829 Features and Connectivity
One of the main goals in this review to familiarize the reader with the main features of this Karaoke Machine. So here they are:
MP3 Cradle: One feature that users find very helpful is the MP3 cradle which enables you to rest your MP3 player in it to make charging more convenient. If you and your friends have been singing for hours using your MP3 player and suddenly realize the battery is dead, you can place the player in the cradle while it charges and know that the player is safely tucked away. It also allows you to view your MP3 player’s screen in an upright position.
USB slot: If you have songs on a USB device such as a thumb drive, there is a USB port on the machine that allows you to easily play songs from your device.
SD Card Slots: SD stands for “secure digital” and refers to a type of memory card where pictures, videos, and music can be stored. This machine has SD card slots which allow you to insert an SD card and play music saved on the card. The types of SD cards the machine will work with include: SDHC card, SD card, miniSDHC card, microSD card, microSDHC card.
AVI/JPEGs: Another fun feature of this machine is the ability to play movies (AVI format) or watch pictures (in JPEG format) that you have saved on your SD card or USB.
USB Charger for MP3/iPod: The USB charger allows you to charge any device that connects with a USB cord – iPod Touch, iPod Classic, iPod Mini, iPod Shuffle, and iPod Nano.
300 MP3G songs: These songs are in MP3G format and are contained on 2 discs. These discs have hundreds of classic songs and holiday-themed music.
AUX input for iPod/MP3 Players: By using a 3.5mm audio cable, you can connect your iPod or other MP3 device to the machine and play stored songs.
Built-In Amplifier: The built-in amplifier helps to boost the sound.
When you connect: Before attempting to play music from an SD card or USB device, ensure that your music (which should be in MP3 or MP3G format) has been downloaded to the USB or the SD card. To do this with a USB, insert the USB stick into your computer and search for the music you want to copy. When you find the music file you are looking for, right click it and select copy, then paste it into the removable disk window.
Once the USB or SD is inserted into the appropriate slot in the machine, the list of music contained on the device will then be displayed and you will have the opportunity to select which song you would like to play.
Record CDG/MP3G and Voice: The Karaoke USA GF829 is capable of recording you singing to your favorite songs as well, which is a really fun feature. You can record your songs (music along with your voice) onto an SD card in MP3 format, then you have the recording permanently and can listen to it again and again.
Instant Playback: Another useful feature is the ability to not only record your songs, but instantly play them back. This way you can determine if you like what you have recorded and want to keep it, or if you need to record the song again. Note: The song will be recorded to the USB or SD card, not saved on the machine.
CD Recording: If interested in recording yourself to a CD, there is a way to do this. After you have recorded onto your USB or SD card, you can then take the memory device out of the machine, put it into your personal computer, and transfer the files to your computer. From there, you will be able to burn the songs to a CD.
Note: the DVD format disc will not support the recording function.
Karaoke USA GF829 Voice and Sound Controls
Analog Echo Control: On the control panel, you have the ability to add an echo. An echo effect adds a special quality to the singer’s voice, often making it sound better more professional with an improved vocal range.
Balance Control: This is a cool feature that allows you to control the left and right channel balance. Essentially, the user can choose between just music, or music and vocals.
Digital Key Control: The digital key control can be utilized to adjust the pitch of the music or vocals to give it a more professional sound. It can basically raise or lower the key of a song, so if you’re singing a song that is out of your vocal range, it helps make that song easier for you to sing. The other great feature about this control is that is changes the key of the song without changing the speed and tempo.
Tone control: The tone control allows you to adjust the bass and treble sounds. The bass refers to the lower frequency sounds in music, and the treble refers to the higher frequency sounds. Basically, this enables the user to achieve the correct balance in the song being played.
Audio, Video, Auxiliary Input and Outputs
Auxiliary Input: The auxiliary input is where you can attach just about any type of MP3 player or gaming console. All you need for this is a 3.5 mm audio cable. This is also where you can connect your own microphone should you have a different one that you prefer over the ones that come with the machine.
Audio/video outputs: These outputs give you the ability to connect the machine to a TV or home entertainment center. The advantage of this is that you can then utilize a bigger screen, or even better sound for an optimum karaoke experience.
Special Effects – disco lights, etc
The machine comes with no special effects.
Operates on 120VAC (standard US current)
AC 100V-240V AC/DC Adaptor: This is the type of power cord that comes with the machine and is used to plug the machine into an outlet.
Battery: There is no battery for this machine.
Car Adapter: Can also be used with a 12 Volt car adapter.
The control panel is located on the front and top of the machine, which makes it easily visible and convenient to use.
The front panel has the following controls:
- Repeat the song playing
- Go to previous song
- Mute audio output
- Go to next song
- Raise the tone
- Lower the tone
- Record Playback: Allows you to play back the recorded track
- Navigate up in the menu
- Navigate down in the menu
- Play or pause
- Choose between Disc, SD, or USB
- Enter button: Enables you to select a menu item
- Record/Stop: Lets you start and stop recording
The top panel has the following controls:
- Power and Function: With this control, you can switch the player on and off, select Play mode in Disc, USB, SD, or AUX
- Headphone: A standard 3.5mm headphone jack
- USB Data: Used for transferring songs saved on your USB device Master Volume control
- CD Door Open Button: Opens the CD door so you can insert a CD
- SD Card Slot: This is where you can insert an SD card if you want to play songs saved on the card
- Cradle: Removable cradle which can hold iPods, MP3 players, and MP4 players
- Microphone 1 volume: Allows you to control the volume on microphone 1
- Microphone 2 volume: Allows you to control the volume on microphone 2
- Balance control: Ability to control the left and right channel balance.
- Echo control: Add an echo to the singer’s voice
- Tone control: Bass and treble sound control
The remote control is very handy as it gives you the ability to perform all functions on the top and front control panels. The remote takes 2 AAA batteries, which are not included with the machine.
The machine is very simple to set up by following the easy instructions in the user manual. Connection to other video/audio devices is also straightforward.
Output power and quality
15W Power Output (RMS), 20 Watt peak power output
Wattage: This 20 watt machine should be perfectly sufficient for use at home, however if you play to use it at a larger party or venue, you may want to look for a unit with a minimum of 80 watts.
What’s in the box
- 1 GF829 (Karaoke machine)
- 1 RCA Cables: These audio cords are about 1-2 feet in length.
- 2 Microphones: The microphone cords are about 6-7 feet in length.
- 1 MP3/iPod holder
- 1 AC Adapter (power cord): The power cord is about 4-5 feet in length.
- 1 Remote control
- 1 iPod Cable
- 2 music discs
- 1 User Manual
- 1 Warranty card: This machine comes with a 90 Day Limited Manufacturer Warranty.
Karaoke USA GF829 Consumer Reviews
I have studied tons of reviews for this machine on various online sites. Overall, people who purchased the Karaoke USA Karaoke System GF829 were quite satisfied with the product. Users have found this machine to be good for all ages, from young children to the elderly. Some of the important features people wanted when searching for a karaoke machine that would fit their needs include:
1. Portable: The general agreement from users is that the machine is very lightweight and easy to transport. Many people remarked on how surprised they were at how light the machine is.
2. Standalone machine: A standalone machine is something many people look for when purchasing a karaoke machine. Standalone means the machine contains all the equipment and accessories needed to do karaoke. Users of this machine stated that they loved the fact that the machine was basically self-contained – it comes with microphones, internal speakers, built-in screen, etc.
3. Easy to operate: Many users that looked at various karaoke machine for kids, ended up purchasing this system. These users state that the machine is simple to operate even for younger children.
4. Durable: While the machine is quite lightweight, it is also fairly durable. One user stated that the machine was accidentally dropped on the floor, and it continued working just fine without even a scratch on it.
5. Able to play karaoke CDs and DVDs: The machine is very versatile and allows you to play karaoke CDs and DVDs on it easily.
6. Able to attach an MP3 player or iPod to the machine: Not only is the machine capable of having an MP3 player or iPod attached, it even comes with the necessary cord to attach the device.
7. Built-in screen for viewing lyrics: Users stated that it was nice to have a machine with a built-in screen that didn’t need to be connected to a TV or some other type of external monitor. Also, the screen is very clear and can be read even from a distance.
8. Multiple microphones: People like the fact that this machine comes with two microphones. Another added benefit is the fact that the microphones have 8-foot long cords which makes them long enough for the user to move around while singing if desired. People also liked the fact that the microphone volume could be controlled individually.
9. Adjustable echo function: Most people say they enjoyed the echo function as an added bonus.
These features are the ones people wanted most of all, and this machine delivered on all counts.
Many people remarked on the fact that when the machine is on and not being used, there is a slight hum or buzzing noise. Most said that the noise was very minor and didn’t really impact the machine’s overall functionality.
Dimensions and other specifications
- 13.5 x 17.5 x 9.8 inches ; 8 pounds (3.7kg)
- Video standard: NTSC (standard analog television system used in the US.)
- Video output: 1.0 V (p-p), 75ohm, sync, negative polarity, RCA pin jack
- Audio output: 2 channel output, RCA pin jack (LR)
- Sound quality: Decent specifications with very reasonable sound quality
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- S/N ratio: > 90dB
- Total harmonic distortion: < 0.0025%
- Easy to setup and user friendly
- Versatile: accepts input from various devices (Disc/USB/SD card)
- Recording capability
- Portable, light weight, and reasonably robust for the price
- Sleek and nice with large and easy to read LCD monitor
- Good quality sound
- Nice sized screen
- No disco lights or special effects
- No scoring system after performance
- Some users have mentioned a slight buzzing noise when the system is not operational; however, most users said the buzzing is minor and does not have much impact when the system is in use.
- 2 CDs include church hymns, Christmas carols, and some traditional American songs. Some may choose to purchase their own preferred CDs.
Based on my own extensive research and having looked into several consumer reviews, the average rating online for this machine is very good. Users seem pleased overall with the product. The machine delivers on most of the qualities people are looking for in this type of karaoke machine. The machine deserves this rating as the quality of the machine is good and it has a lot of very desirable features.
Karaoke USA GF829 Price
This machine is fairly priced. It is very easy to set up, and users find it simple to operate. The versatility of the machine and what types of devices can be connected to it gives the user many different options. It’s light and portable, but without compromising quality. The machine is nice-looking, and the monitor is high-quality and clear. It is definitely a good, fair price for a user looking to buy a karaoke machine with these features.
Click on any of the models you have decided for and purchase now with great discounts:
|USA GF829||USA GF830||USA GF839||USA GF840||USA GF842|
I hope you have enjoyed this Karaoke Machine review. Don’t hesitate to leave a comment or ask any specific question you may have.
5 thoughts on “Karaoke USA GF829, GF830, GF839, GF840,GF842 and GF8xx series Review”
Can any machine that allows for iPod/iPad connection play YouTube karaoke songs? Do you have to use the app associated with the system to purchase songs to download?
Yes you can play YouTuve karaoke songs, that’s not a problem. In terms of purchasing songs to download, you don’t necessarily have to use the app but it’s certainly an options, depending if you like the songs choices offered.
Thank you for this great information! Just to confirm, is this machine compatible with iPads and iPhones (iPhone 5 and higher)?
You are welcome Heather.
Yes, this machine can be used with those smart devices you mentioned.
My machine will not show words on the machine, words are only shown when plugged into TV. Suggestions?
Comments are closed.